A Brief History of Staverton Station.
Work began at Staverton in March 1871, delayed by difficulties in acquiring the land required from the
Ecclesiastical Commissioner. Before work could commence on the buildings the local roads had to be
diverted to give enough room to fit the station in between the new road alignment and the leat for the flour
mill.
On opening the facilities provided were; a 203ft passenger platform with a 36ft 6in by 12ft 9in, red brick
built single storey station building, designed by Margary, modelled on Teigngrace on the Moretonhempsted
line. The building itself was comprised of a station office, a passenger entrance which was open on the
platform side, a ladies waiting room/WC and a gents WC with urinal. There was no goods shed provided as
the station only handled mileage (wagon load) goods. In November of 1872 Margary was approached to
provide a wooden shed for stores at the station, the most likely location for this was to the west of the main
station buildings.
The directorsí visit in 1878 suggested that Staverton be made into a tonnage station to handle small goods,
have the siding extended to allow space for six extra wagons and, for a wooden goods shed with a crane to
be provided. In 1879 these suggestions were expanded on, the present buffers were to be bought 30ft
closer to the station with the siding being slewed closer to the main line and for a wooden goods shed with
stone base 20ft by 25ft to be built and a 4 ton crane be provided. Also in 1879 the flour mill, next to the
station, approached the company asking for a Flour Store to be provided for their use at the station.
Work commenced in the winter of 1881, the works actually undertaken were; a 25ft by 20ft goods shed,
built in red brick, to the east of the main station block. A 30ft by 20ft store, in the same style as the goods
shed, built for by the flour mill. The goods siding was extended across the road, terminating 80ft from the
level crossing with an end loading bank.

To be continued...