A Brief History of Ashburton Station.
In 1882 the catch points for the goods road were moved and extended to Tucker’s Malt house, the new siding primarily being for Tucker’s traffic although legally it was not a private siding. It is possible that at this same time a 2-lever ground frame was also installed concentrating the control of the points for the loop and the goods siding but it was certainly in place by the late 1890’s. Also in 1890 the goods siding and loading bank were extended by 40ft to 90ft, this was most likely in connection with increased mineral traffic from near by umber mines.In 1911 the GWR decided to upgrade the signalling and interlocking at Ashburton along with that of Staverton. This scheme would have seen the layout unaltered, with the installation of a 16-lever frame ‘box, new signals, facing point locks and the layout finally interlocked.
The scheme then had some amendments put forward to improve the station layout by putting a second connection to the Tucker’s siding, enabling the abolishment of “tow roping”, and to provide cattle pens and platform. This second, revised plan was approved by the Traffic Committee on the 9th January 1913 but the outbreak of the first world war prevented much of this work from taking place, however the cattle pens and associated platform were built and the turn-table was removed at a similar time.

The cattle pens and platform were soon found to be inadequate and in 1928 the platform was extended under the train shed giving the appearance that Ashburton had two passenger platforms. Other than extending the loop by moving its point further south at some point around 1930 no other major alterations were made to the station or it’s layout
The original facilities provided at Ashburton were a platform road with 300ft passenger platform and 80ft train shed, a goods shed with loading bank and 2 ton crane, a loop with siding to enable locomotives to run round and providing covered siding space under the train shed roof, although there was no platform on the loop siding until later in it history. There was also an engine shed with 23ft 6in turntable.
A picture from around the turn of the 20th century depicting the branch loco on the turntable just in front of the engine shed, which can just be made out in the far right of the picture.