Bishops Bridge Signal Box History.
For the first two years of it’s life the box was known as Athelney West, but in1908 the East box was closed and it became just Athelney. Located on the then new Great Western Railways’ cut off line to the West Country via Westbury, just a few miles short of Cogload junction and Taunton. The box controlled two level crossings, one for a road that crossed the line next to the box, a canal ran parallel to this road and on the other side of the canal was the second crossing for users of the canal towpath. The box was to the Great Western's standard design for the period, being built in all-timber, the windows of the operating floor were of the "three panes over two" arrangement. Installed with a 37-lever GW 5¼" stud-locking frame which would normally only be used on smaller frames. Most boxes of a similar size would have been fitted with double-twist interlocking. In 1943 additional Up and Down Goods Loops were added to help cope with the extra traffic of the Second World War. At the same time opportunity was taken to re-lock the frame with standard tappet locking.

After the layout had been progressively rationalised through BR ownership, resignalling of the area in 1986 saw the box closed, control being passed to Exeter power box. In 1987 the Dart Valley Railway Association held negotiations with BR with the aim of purchasing the box and erecting it at Totnes Littlehempston. The box was carefully dismantled and moved to Devon where it was then decided to use it at Staverton to control the passing loop. A new brick base was built and only the upper part of the original box was used. The box in it’s new guise was opened on 16th September 1999.
Bishops Bridge Signal Box in its previous life as Athelney Signal Box, click on the image to see a gallery of images of the 'box as Athelney.